Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Writing/Self Editing Tip of the Week: Verb! That's What's Happening!

I know, I'm dating myself here, but for those who can remember, do you recall School House Rock in the 1970's? At the time, as a young girl, I thought those snippets were pretty corny, but I can recite the Preamble to the US Constitution, I know what a bill is, I heard the shot go 'round the world that kicked off the US Revolution, and I traveled the solar system with Interplant Janet.

On the grammar side of the house who could forget such classics as: Noun is a Person, Place, or Thing, Conjunction, Conjunction, what's your function, Lolly, Lolly, Lolly get your Adverbs here and one of my all time favorites: Verb! That's what's happening!

So my writing tip/self-editing tip of the week:

There's always a better/stronger verb.

Don't get me wrong, there are times when "was" and "had" work and work well, but whenever I write a sentence using those words, I usually pull back and see if I can write the sentence using a stronger verb.

Some of my favorites: sluiced, offered, approached, gestured, motioned, and marched.

Feedback: What are your favorite "go-to" stronger verbs?



PS: Last year my boys who were 9 and 4 at the time, found the School House Rock song on ITunes from the 1970's and LOVED them. Now I'm the proud owner of Season 1 and Season 2, and the kids can recite the preamble to the US Constitution, too.

Author Bio: Stephanie Burkhart is a 911 dispatcher who works for LAPD. She also writes contemporary, paranormal, steampunk, and fantasy romance. One of her favorite Olympic sports is watching US Men's water polo. One of her latest releases is a 99 cent sweet vintage romance, "Journey of the Heart."

JOURNEY OF THE HEART


Blurb: Set in Sonoma, CA in 1946, can James help Rachel save her winery or will he drift out of her life the same way he drifted in?

4, 5 Star Reviews on Amazon
The story was compelling and not boring, which is often a stereotype of sweet romances. I would recommend this short sweetie of a story. Good job, author. - Angel E

Excerpt:
"Your case threatened to run away, so I bribed it." Her sweet expression was an arrow through his heart.

"Really? What did you bribe it with?" He wiped the sweat off his brow with a handkerchief, caused from a combination of the summer heat and lifting the heavy cases.

"A job."

He hooked his thumb toward his chest. "Are you offering me a job, Miss Santori?"

BUY LINK: http://amzn.com/B008G1JI6C

2 comments:

  1. LOVE, love, love! School House Rock. There are days when "Conjunction Junction" spends all day cycling through my head. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regan, I chuckle. When I was young, I didn't appreciate it now I think it's really cool. My kids love it and they're learning in a really easy way.

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete