Wednesday, December 9, 2009

On the Reading List


As well as writing, I love to love read. I suppose I enjoy historicals the most, but here's what's on my list. I'd love to hear what's on your list as well!

19 MINUTES
I just finished this book. Written by Jodi Picoult, this book is a fictional acount of a high school shooting in Sterling, NH. It's my first book I've read by Picoult and I enjoyed it very much. It's considered, "mainstream." I loved how Jodi got into her characters. There was so much depth to the writing, I really enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the setting, Sterling, NH, which is in my native NH. I could easily picture the area she was writing about.



ALEXANDRA
Written by Carolly Erickson, this is a biography about Alexandra, the last Czarina of Russia. I've always been fascinated by Russian History since I took a history class my senior year of high school. This biography is very rich in detail and Erickson has a great writing style. Surprisingly, I was disappointed with her fictional account of Tatiana's story in "The Czarina's Daughter," but this book rocks the house.





A WICKED LORD AT THE WEDDING
This is written by Jillian Hunter and is in her Boscastle series. I love Hunter, so I enjoyed the book. She's got an writing style that makes it easy to read. I liked Eleanor a lot. Sebastien was likable, too, but if anything, I would have liked him to actually say "I love you," to her.




THE WHITE QUEEN
I'm almost done with this. It's by Phillipa Gregory and it's about Elizabeth Woodville, Edward IV's queen. I love Gregory, but I'm disappointed with the POV narration in this one. It's present tense and because of it, it's hard for her to cover those events that are important to Elizabeth. Elizabeth's story is very rich, but I'm disappointed with how Gregory told it.

CURRENTLY READING:
TIME PLAINS DRIFTER
FLYING FREE

No comments:

Post a Comment