Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Wednesday News from the Publishing World

Barnes and Nobles has been in the news lately as they try to expand their markets in this tight economy. My source for the following information is Publisher's Weekly. You can access their website at: http://www.publishersweekly.com/

********

Barnes and Nobles just acquired Barnes and Noble College Booksellers. I'm not quite sure how this will effect the College Booksellers per se, I'll be looking to see what happens here.

Barnes and Nobles is also planning to open an online store, much like Amazon that will focus on selling - ebooks. Yes, Barnes and Nobles is getting back into Ebooks. B&N were into ebooks from 2000-2003, but then got out in 2003 when they determined the ebook market was sluggish. Now, the market has been revitialized with the Amazon Kindle. To that end, they are developing what they call the PLASTIC LOGIC READER - their verison of Amazon's Kindle. It should be available sometime next year. I'll keep my eyes out for that as well.

If you've got anything you'd like to share, leave a note.

***

On an unrelated note, it's that time of the month to PLUG my official online newsletter. I put out a monthly newsletter that focuses on the writing world. I discuss genre writing, editing points, news from the publishing world, like the Barnes and Noble tidbit I just discussed, look at a Small Press - this month Leucrota Press is featured as well as look at Literary Agent blogs for those who are interested in traditional publishing. I also have book reviews posted for books I read and my books.

You can sign up for my newsletter at: http://sgcardin.tripod.com

Go to the end of the home page and fill in the form. The newsletter is free.

Smiles & Have a great week!
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment